25 October 2009

Globe Tattoo and Smart Bro: Can I Use My Regular Phone Sim Card?

I have been wanting to learn about this before purchasing a Globe Tatto or Smart Bro modems, now that they've become cheap these days. Was searching Google to no avail.

Now, I'm posting this up for the benefit of those still wondering. I happened to test both modems, and below are my observations. If you have comments, please feel free to post them below. (I would really appreciate comments).


For Smart Bro, it was mentioned in their FAQ that you can't use the Smart Bro sim card for call or text via a regular cellular phone, and I have not tested that. Their FAQ was silent whether you can use a regular prepaid/postpaid Smart sim into their modem. This one I have tested, and no, my Smart regular prepaid sim won't work in the SmartBro modem.

For Globe Tatto, the Tattoo sim can be used for texting but not calling when used from a regular phone. Likewise, a regular prepaid or postpaid Globe sim can be used in Globe Tattoo to access the internet. Just make sure that you have TIME based charging on before you actually access the internet if you don't want to receive a skyrocketing bill by the next billing period. I've read somewhere that the charges when using a regular postpaid phone sim in Globe Tattoo are the regular charge against your consumable amount, but that I haven't checked my bills yet.

Both products claim that their modems are network locked, so you can't use a Globe Tatto sim in a SmartBro modem and vice versa. I have not tested either, and have not heard of any service that can unlock those modems.

12 comments:

  1. please help.... i forget my sim number for globe tattoo.... how can i get back this number?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then I guess using the modem attached to the computer and from the Globe
    Tattoo program, you just send a text message to your regular sim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi i have the same problem before i forgot the number of my globe tatoo sim altough im able to keep the base of the sim card but when i needed it its not with me. so what i did is i buy another sim . DEUTS option is good to use the texting feature of the globe tatoo but the only problem is if your gLobe tattoo sim in your device have no available load. then you wont be able to send a txt message. even if you try to do a balance inquiry it wont show your number.

    Gys if you any other option you can post it hear so we can help others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. guys you can actually use smart sim or sun broadband on globe tattoo modems, this is done by unlocking the globe tattoo usb modems, u can google it, I've done it on my e160e modem, the biggest obstacle would be obtaining the unlocking code.google it up guys it's worth a try......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that's interesting. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. if you forgot your globe tattoo number just call their customer service and they'll be able to tell you your number...

    ReplyDelete
  7. pnu mgamit ung snartbro using globe tatoo simcard

    ReplyDelete
  8. Syempre kelangan mo pa unlock ung usb broadband mo

    ReplyDelete
  9. i forgot my smartbro sim number,, what should i do??

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello,I just want to consult to you guys if I could use an ordinary sim card on a SmartBRO Starter plug it stick? Same goes to a Globe Tattoo stick. Your replies will be highly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you bought your SmartBRO and/or Globe Tattoo modem lately, yes you could use ordinary sims on those devices.

      Delete