20 May 2009

Installing Debian Lenny

Installing Debian was never easy. It's not like any other popular distro that have a livecd where you can boot and install from. Yes, it has a livecd but you can't install from it. It's strictly for testing purposes. And in Debian, unlike other distros, it is empirical that you have a reliable wired internet connection to begin with.

I downloaded the first CD, which included the Gnome desktop environment and inserted the same upon boot. I chose the graphical interface for installation. But first, I made sure that I was directly connected to the internet, not through wireless interface. However, as it appeared later, my ethernet connection was disabled from the Windows interface. As such, I wasn't actually able to successfully connect to the internet upon installation. As a result, many critical applications were not installed. First and foremost in the list is the Synaptic Package Manager. Hence, I found my installation worthless as I wasn't even able to install more applications that badly needed.

Then came the sad part, I had to reinstall. This time I had to reinstall. This time, the installer was able to connect to the repository to download and install important applications to get going.

At last I had a working Debian Linux desktop.

No comments:

Post a Comment